15. Boadilla to Carrión de los Condes

Camino Frances - Day 17 - September 12th. 2013: Boadilla to Carrión (15th day walking)
Contour Map: Copyright John Brierley click here to see notes










Contour Map: Copyright John Brierley click here to see notes










Click here for Google Map and my starting point today
Still feeling unwell this morning. I was going from hot to cold throughout the night. I put on my thermals, top and bottom, my bag liner and a blanket and still I was shivering with the cold, that is, when I was not boiling hot. 

As I set off this morning with a sore throat, swollen lands in my neck, ear aches and that nagging pain in my lower abdomen. I promised myself last night that I would slow down a bit and enjoy the journey and now that I was feeling unwell that promise was easy to fulfil. I soon came across Harry from Toronto, a very big man who was walking at a pace that suited me today. We walked together to Frómista where we ate breakfast. Harry retired in June as did his wife. They were both teachers. They travelled to Ireland on numerous occasions to run a summer school at a number of locations for Canadian students. The classes ran over two weeks and were targeted at students aged about 17 to 18years. I left Harry in the cafe where he had seized the opportunity to recharge the dead battery on his phone.
























Fromista - Esclusa

I stopped for a break at Albergue Amanecer just outside Villarmentero de Campo. This is a very interesting site with tipis available to rent for the night. Looking back now I think I should have stayed here just for the experience but I felt it was too early in the day to stop walking.  

I was delighted to catch up with Michael and Jane today and exchange stories about our progress. 

Arriving in Carrión I booked into Santa Clara. I was assigned to a very small room with four single beds placed along side each other with just about enough space to make my way between them. There were two ladies, about my own age, in the first two beds about to take a nap. The fourth bed had a lot of gear on it so clearly I was in number three. (See Topic on snoring for more details about this night) The fourth occupant, Hanna, turned out to be a young, recently qualified medical doctor who had been already walking for 52 days. She had walked 750 Klms before reaching St Jean Pied de Port for the remaining 800Klms to Santiago, wow.


Bob and Ed
Took a shower and also took a scissors to my hair because the haircut I had did not shorten it enough on top.  Heading into the town I met Jo, Mary and Kathy and they told me where the guys were staying. I met up with the lads, we had a few beers and Burger, Eggs and Chips. Who cares about the calories when you are walking about 30Klms every day. 

I dropped into the supermarket to get some food and drinks for tomorrow. Apparently this is a long stretch without any place to stop for refreshments. This is the first time I bought food to take on the road as I was always able to get something to eat in a cafe along the way and the cost was so low that it simply was not worth the effort. However, buying your own did mean a better choice of food and the ability to stop anywhere to eat in the relative quite of the countryside. I purchased a roll, smoked salmon, black olives, ham, cheese, fruit and a couple of energy bars. Too much...

Back i my room I sent text to my son, John, suggesting we head off together for a few days when I get back. Received a reply from him saying he was looking forward to it. 

The older ladies in the room informed me they did not rise early while Hanna said she would be getting up at 6:15 and that suited me.
____________________________________________________________
Other Links, relating to this section of the Camino, you may wish to follow 

Boadilla del Camino:
Images of Boadilla del Camino on the internet
Wikipedia on Boadilla del Camino
Carrión de los Condes:
Images of Carrión de los Condes on the internet
Wikipedia on Carrión de los Condes
__________________________________
Topic:

No comments:

Post a Comment