14. Hontanas to Boadilla

Camino Frances - Day 16 - September 11th. 2013: Hontanas to Boadilla (14th day walking)
Contour Map: Copyright John Brierley click here to see notes










Contour Map: Copyright John Brierley click here to see notes











Click here for Google Map and my starting point today
























I left the hostel  at about 6:45am, 35 minutes behind Ger, Ed and Jim. I used my head light until the sun came up at 7:18am. The Camino signs were good so there was little risk of going astray again. 

I decided I would split up my walking today in a similar way to yesterday:
Hontanas to Castrojeriz
Castrojeriz to Itero
Itero to Boadillo.


The first stage today was easy and as I arrived into Castrojeriz the guys were just about to leave. I stopped for breakfast and took a note to follow up with my son and sister in law about the flowers for Brenda. I needed to have the arrangements finalised for peace ahead of our anniversary on the 15th..

There is a very steep climb and descent after Castrojeriz but I managed to get to Itero early enough to spend some time with the guys over a coffee. I felt tired going into the final stage but lucky for me it was not a difficult stretch.


Albergue En El Camino is fabulous with a small pool in a large garden area. You can see from the image above that the pilgrims were making the most of the facilities. 

Today I had a lot of pain in my lower abdomen, closer to my groin area. It was more painful when I coughed. Ger suggested it might be a hernia. I will monitor this in the coming days.

I did not drink any beer this evening because I felt it was becoming a bit of a habit. I would not have a drink every evening at home, maybe a few times a week, so I did not want to get into the habit while on the Camino. I went back to my bed after a very nice pilgrim meal in the Albergue. Sent a few texts, updated notes. I got into bed because I was feeling very cold but I was unable to get the heat into my body. Feeling a bit unwell and my throat was sore. 

It's not a race:
As I lay in bed trying to get warm I though about my progress so far and what still had to be done. I realised I was being drawn into a routine of getting up, racing to a destination to secure a bed for the night then doing it all over again. My walking was becoming more about the destination that what it was supposed to be, the journey. I decided I would get back to my original plan and the stages I enjoyed the most. I would take my time, have proper breaks along the way to update my notes and to chill out at the side of the pathway and watch the world go by. 

Having said the above it should be remembered that there is a certain amount of routine and restrictions that are impossible to avoid. Albergues can fill up quickly as I witnessed on a few occasions, 'Lights out' and 'Doors locked' can curtail your activities. Very early risers and having to be out of the Albergues early each morning does ensure you will be on the road early whether you like it or not. In between all the above your time is your own so that's the time you must put your own stamp on and not get sucked into the race.  
____________________________________________________________
Other Links, relating to this section of the Camino, you may wish to follow 

Hontanas:
Images of Hontanas on the internet
Wikipedia on Hontanas
Castrojeriz:
Images of Castrojeriz on the internet
Wikipedia on Castrojeriz
Boadilla del Camino:
Images of Boadilla del Camino on the internet
Wikipedia on Boadilla del Camino
______________________________
Topic:

No comments:

Post a Comment